AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone put dry fert. down with drill?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JellyJugz
Posted 7/7/2020 23:20 (#8360544 - in reply to #8360487)
Subject: RE: Anyone put dry fert. down with drill?

NC South Dakota
Yeah flinging out a years worth of fertilizer in the spring doesn't always work well in our geography.
After 30 days without a good rain(like we went threw this year) is there anything left even with stabilizer?
Getting it into the soil where the roots can reach it can pay huge.
I personally know only one guy that does it, and that's because he hasn't had time to get his air cart fitted to his new planter yet.
Not sure what your retailer charges for stabilizer but last I checked (from memory) it cost about $15 an acre on my corn blend and there is no guarantee it will get into the ground.
Lots of stuff to do in the spring and spreading urea with stabilizer is just easy, that's why its done, its not "better"
Id say only downside is making the ground black and destroying residue(other than this spring residue is usually good). There is a reason why guys run 1895's and put everything down at once.
Personally id invest the time/ money into pulling an air cart behind the planter, there is efficiency in banding. (too hilly to do all strip till)
I VR everything so I figure $7 for spreading savings, and $15 for stabilizer savings an acre..... That's good money doing it yourself....not to mention banding efficiency and higher yield most years.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)