AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm Employee Advice Needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bernie nw ON
Posted 7/7/2020 00:31 (#8358588 - in reply to #8358477)
Subject: RE: Farm Employee Advice Needed

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Great White North

I've always tried to match what a comparable job would pay in the local area. Here I am competing with logging, trucking, construction and mining and our local labor market is pretty competitive for someone who would have the skills to operate modern farm equipment. 

Of course working on a farm has some benefits compared to other industries - possibly more flexible hours, working with nature and livestock, and not having to travel. One of my current employees left a week in / week out remote mining job so he was willing to be flexible on wages as he now gets to sleep in his own bed every night.  

New people here get two weeks paid vacation, everyone is paid hourly as that is the only way I can see it to be fair for both them and I. Top hourly rate is over $30, and other fulltime people are mid $20s. Average about 50 hours per week year round so most checks include overtime. Ontario law exempts agriculture from overtime pay but I pay 1.25 the regular rate for overtime to keep people motivated to put in long hours when we have to. My farm is dairy but we milk with robots so people on my crew start at 7am or 8am, done around 5pm - 7pm of course we might be going until midnight during harvest but that is only for a few days a few times during the year. I pay all the hours from when they arrive to when they leave - they bring a lunch and are welcome to stop for coffee a couple times per day but I don't deduct for breaks or when they stop to chat for a few minutes.  I asked my employees to figure out Saturdays so I'm not stuck here alone - whoever comes in is usually gone by 10 or 11 am Saturday - and Sundays I usually cover the limited chores we have to do with one of my kids helping. Free firewood and use of my equipment (skidsteer, etc) if they have a project they want to do at home.  If they need a half day off or something for a family event I can't remember the last time we couldn't make it work. Basically I try to treat them with respect and am very happy with the workforce I have and owe a lot of my success to my employees. I probably could save a few dollars by being a tightwad but you get what you pay for and dedicated, hard working employees are worth every penny. 

Edited by Bernie nw ON 7/7/2020 00:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)