AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trap Gun For 13 Year Old?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

MN Dave 2
Posted 7/6/2020 22:33 (#8358470 - in reply to #8358379)
Subject: RE: Trap Gun For 13 Year Old?

If you want to beat the crapola out of him buy a 20 ga pump, or better yet a 12 ga pump or single shot. Make sure that it is a nice light gun and he won't want to waste so many shells and will quit fairly soon. Our local high school trap team has the vast majority of the kids shooting 12 ga auto loaders Some of the more experienced shooters use a over/under, but most are 12 ga semi autos. After they got rid of all the 20 ga pumps/single shots, the average scores of EVERY kid went up. Remember, they will be shooting 100's of shells each month. Depending on how tall your kid is, spending $4-500 on a used Browning, Beretta, Remington semi auto shotgun and then cutting a inch or so off of the stock to make it fit him right will be money well spent. After he/she has grown in a couple of years, you will have some good trading material to upgrade to a longer stock. You might be able to just buy a standard sized stock. I like the Browning A-5 , the Beretta 303, 390, 391 , the Remington 1100, better yet the Rem 11-87 semi auto shotguns. Most, if not al,l of these models will have the screw in chokes in the barrels which I think is a near must have feature. All of the models I have suggested should be in the $4-500 range on the used market. A 20 ga semi auto will kick some less, but the small amount less isn't worth the less amount of shot downrange. To the guys who like the 28 ga, yes some "experts" like them (mostly old guys who are bored and want more of a challenge) have you priced 28 ga shells lately? Even been able to find them available?

My son and I shot trap for several years while he was in high school. He started out with a 20 pump, I had a 12 ga Beretta semi auto. He quickly moved to a Browning semi auto Gold Hunter. After several Beretta semi autos I went to a Browning Citori over/under which I still shoot today.

If you can find a gun dealer that will have a special "shooting" day where several manufactures will have guns to try out it would be the BEST TIME that you could spend with your son/daughter. Most of the factory reps will be happy to spend a few minutes with you to help with the gun fit and maybe give a few tips. They WANT happy customers who will be buying guns for years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)