AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop insurance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 7/7/2020 08:14 (#8358928 - in reply to #8358078)
Subject: RE: Crop insurance

Nevada, Iowa
Admittedly, I am pretty ignorant on the whole crop insurance scenario. I took the below snippet from a page on this website https://cropinsuranceinamerica.org/
I am sure there is some bias here as this website (I believe) represents the conglomeration of the companies that write crop insurance in the US. Here is the paragraph -
"The Federal government provides reinsurance, that is insurance for the insurance companies. As such, the government shares in an agreed-upon portion of the companies’ underwriting losses, and in return, takes a share of the companies’ underwriting gains. In short, as a reinsurer the government helps shoulder excessive losses, especially in a significant loss year like 2012, but also shares in underwriting gains in years when losses are less than premiums."
Whenever I read about subsidies, I never read about how the Gov't. might actually be compensated for a portion of this. Obviously, no figures are given but it would be nice to know how it all balances out taking everything into account. Maybe someone here might have a bigger picture.
Restating that I am ignorant about the whole scenario.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)