AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drain plug under water weight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/6/2020 19:50 (#8358082 - in reply to #8357960)
Subject: RE: Drain plug under water weight

Pittsburg, Kansas

Keep in mind the weight you are calculating is what you would be lifting if you were pulling straight up in the center of the plug.

If you have a handle or some method of tipping up one side the effort would be somewhat less. I'm not enough of a math wiz to figure it out but it would be hinging off the opposite side which would have zero pull.

At least that is the way I see it in my minds eye. I could be wrong. You are correct in that once you get it cracked a little ways it goes just to the weight of the plug.

Water going through a big hole is dangerous. Been more than one person sucked through a lake overflow pipe. The results are usually not good.

One atmosphere in seawater is about 33 feet so about 14.7 psi for each atmosphere which is what Google is telling you per foot. Roughly a half psi per sq inch per foot depth of water. Fresh water is a little less than sea water because of the mineral content. This is why a person can not breath through a snorkel over about a foot depth. Lungs not strong enough to overcome the water pressure.

John

Edited by John Burns 7/6/2020 19:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)