AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solar farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 7/6/2020 17:29 (#8357784 - in reply to #8357146)
Subject: RE: Solar farm

SE Manitoba
yongfarmer89 - 7/6/2020 10:48

We have a proposed solar farm next to us. About 3/4 a mile from the barn but buds up next to our property. I've been to all the town board meets invovling the solar law and another project that got the green light. I am not totaly against solar as it does bring money into our job poor area. I did get the board to put a clause about %50 ag land, i'll attach a pic of the exact wording. The project next door is 3/4 plus ag land imo, but the solar company say they typically go off pannel area for %50 instead of total land used. Hoping to find so added imfo to help get the board to honnor the %50 clause.

Anything i should ask the solar company for? Have heard of guys grazing solar farms, it that a real thing?

Ask them to make sure that there is say 6' clear under the panels and that you would like a contract to both seed the grass pre construction and be allowed to graze sheep after construction is completed.

You could point out that in doing so that they would be enhancing their 'green image'.
You could gain a customer for slaughtered lamb for the company big wig's dos if you play things well.

I don't think panels would mix well with either cattle or goats.
The cattle push too much in their scratching (sheep a lot less so) and the goats would really damage a lot of stuff if even one of the stupid buggers even got on top of the panels but sheep would work.

When I've seen these solar farms that's always my comment, wife is quite sick of it, too bad they weren't a little further from the ground - - - - could stick some sheep in there.

The trick is to get some good grass started before the panels are up. After they're up ist going to be a lot more challenging seeding in there.

There's another opportunity for you.
Consultant to the solar boys on how to manage their ground for better 'optics' (at the very least!) or maybe - - - - aren't those woollies cute!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)