AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody sold an equipment patent?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cole Sibley
Posted 7/6/2020 11:01 (#8357161 - in reply to #8356739)
Subject: RE: Anybody sold an equipment patent?

My old man and my uncle worked with Deere for years on a baler patent. Basically Deere paid a few bucks (and a pair of tractors) to test and work on the baler. They did this for a significant amount of time (right up until the patent ran out). Deere said they were no longer interested at that point and "we" were free to take patent and do what we wanted. Nothing ever came of it (I think the final iteration of the baler may have ended up at a college in Wisconsin, baling garbage last I heard). Whether "we" could have made something of the baler on our own, or whether another big company could have made something of it will never be known, because that isn't the way it went.

I'm not sure how they went about getting in with Deere (I was in highschool and more interested in girls than companies), but I believe it was just phone calls. If it is something they are interested in (either completing or squashing) they will be at your door in no time. I know the patent process was expensive (and obviously very important), and I imagine the big companies know ALL the tricks to dealing with "dumb old farmers" and will get their way regardless of how many lawyers you hire (that is just conjecture on my part), so be prepared to take what you get.

Just my thoughts and memories from the 1990's. If you are SURE the idea will make money, Do It Yourself. The big companies don't get big by making "dumb old farmers" rich. That is just my opinion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)