AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Controlling Bindweed...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

fastline1
Posted 7/5/2020 17:51 (#8355870)
Subject: Controlling Bindweed...

Dealing with some ground that had has not been cultivated in a few yrs. It seems Bindweed has been lurking. In areas that have been either been mowed or stripped to repair some terraces and such, it is pretty obvious that if the vegetation is stripped, it is promoting the lurking Bindweed to flourish.

I have sprayed a few areas, and it seems to grow in patching of maybe 1000sf, but I believe it is too widespread to consider spot control effective.

I think a proper burn down and management system will need to be implemented. My main concern and question is getting eradication quickly. Due to the vegetation, there is really no question that the acreage will need to be mowed down, then sprayed. However, Bindweed is able to grow new plants through simple cuttings, so I have concerns that multiple herbicide applications will be needed, and I am trying to both minimize that, and maximize the performance of these applications, as they are not cheap.

What herbicides are you guys having luck with? My concern is once we rotate this ground to a crop, using a non-selective herbicide will not be an option, so targeted control would become the priority, in which eradication probably would not be practical, and only suppression would be practical. I want the stuff out of the field. It was identified in small areas 8yrs ago, and I know this stuff is a real issue. It looks a bit "innocent" on the top growth but I know the root system is extensive and can really rob vital nutrients.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)