AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let’s pray
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 7/6/2020 13:31 (#8357423 - in reply to #8357171)
Subject: RE: Let’s pray

North of London

It is always difficult to prove the negative so the goal is to prove the positive.
So since many in this post seem to doubt my point of prayer having not been proven to work i suggest you read this.
i think the purpose of conducting this study was to prove how good prayer was but science does not show what you want but what is actually happening in reality and so the result
i looked the link up and included a short description of the findings. Read the entire article to see how they conducted it and there are other copies out there with more info than this short description.
My 'eye opening' realization about prayer came while plowing one fall and listening to an interview of a leader in one of the churches in the US.
It could have been related to a book he had written or some other happening but the lady conducting the interview tends to wander around with her questions and often elicited unusual comments from the interviewee so this interview strayed into prayer and the religious leader ended up saying a prayer should never ask for anything specific because it might not come about so it should always just ask in generalities and then close by saying IF the god prayed to wishes it to happen.
That got me thinking about how the employees leading the prayer knew there was no guarantee that any prayer was going to be answered in the affirmative so they covered their tracks by leaving lots of loop holes then at a later date when reading something else I came across a reference to the Templeton study and although there are other studies out there I have never found one that was sound like Templeton Foundation study which i understand to be well conducted to remove biases with double blind procedures and the results produced show that prayer like meditation helps the person doing the praying but no help to the person being prayed for.
So feel good about your prayer but understand that you are the one benefiting not those others.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16569567/

Results: In the 2 groups uncertain about receiving intercessory prayer, complications occurred in 52% (315/604) of patients who received intercessory prayer versus 51% (304/597) of those who did not (relative risk 1.02, 95% CI 0.92-1.15). Complications occurred in 59% (352/601) of patients certain of receiving intercessory prayer compared with the 52% (315/604) of those uncertain of receiving intercessory prayer (relative risk 1.14, 95% CI 1.02-1.28). Major events and 30-day mortality were similar across the 3 groups.

Conclusions: Intercessory prayer itself had no effect on complication-free recovery from CABG, but certainty of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with a higher incidence of complications.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)