AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opening call?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

w1891
Posted 7/5/2020 22:12 (#8356499 - in reply to #8356350)
Subject: RE: Opening call?

S Illinois
We may need to qualify the sands you are talking about. Many people probably think of thinner beach sand. But a lot of those sands/loams up there have PI ratings of 130+ and have rated corn yields of 185+(2000-2009 average yields). I am not familiar if you have black sands, but anything over 130 is good dirt. For reference S IL white dirt is usually around 100 PI and corn yield between 130 and 150. Also there is a significant amount of black prairie soil.

There is a significant amount of lower productivity sand up there also (Marshan Loam-corn yield rating 163, Dickenson sandy loam-corn yield rating 142) but this is as high or higher rated as most dirt south of I-70. The other wild card is irrigation. Irrigation on non-beach sand(if the water table is decently high) can really drive high yields especially with the cooler weather experienced that far north.

Edit: In 2012, Whiteside averaged 140bu/acre. I haven't looked back at every year, but that had to be the lowest yield in the last 10 years. The couple of year I did look up had yields 195+ year in and year out.

Edited by w1891 7/5/2020 22:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)