AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agco has just cancelled the Valtra tractor line!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dohhed
Posted 4/1/2009 15:33 (#665109)
Subject: Agco has just cancelled the Valtra tractor line!

Burford
Agco has done it again! They aquire a company just to drop the line when the dealers and customers start to build it up. Agco has officially dropped the Valtra tractor line in North America. They have around 100 tractors in inventory and when they are gone so is Valtra.

It is kind of funny that the tractor production plant in Finland is running at capacity in Europe but there isn't enought room in the North American market.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
PeteMN
Posted 4/1/2009 15:41 (#665120 - in reply to #665109)
Subject: RE: Agco has just cancelled the Valtra tractor line!

E.Central MN
Perhaps they don't want to end up like the auto companies with too many brands sitting in inventory. I would think that since the production line is still running that they could have allowed dealers to special order them, but maybe the demand just isn't there right now. I hear about layoffs at production plants for farm equipment so its likely that ag is still getting hit by the recession, too.
BrianDownSouth
Posted 4/1/2009 15:46 (#665124 - in reply to #665109)

I like my Valtra so I am hoping this is an April fool's joke.
Garrett Pommeranz
Posted 4/1/2009 15:51 (#665132 - in reply to #665109)

Southern MN and Central IA
Do you have a link to an article?
ohoh
Posted 4/1/2009 16:19 (#665154 - in reply to #665124)

what model do you have, drove a 6850 once, one of the nicest all around tractor, seems like everything just fit.
CaseFarmer
Posted 4/1/2009 18:48 (#665256 - in reply to #665132)
Subject: Re: Agco has just cancelled the Valtra tractor line!

Flora IL
so they copy the crap out of the tractor and paint it massey,yellow,and orange and then cancell it....

Interesting....if there hurting maybe they should cut that down to one or two tractors lines...
onlyred
Posted 4/1/2009 19:40 (#665302 - in reply to #665109)

Like our Valtra. This must have something to do with April 1.
WYDave
Posted 4/1/2009 20:26 (#665358 - in reply to #665109)

Wyoming
I see no press release on the wires or on Agco Corp's investor relations. This would be pretty big news and I'd expect an announcement of some kind...
frmrzdotr
Posted 4/1/2009 20:30 (#665363 - in reply to #665256)

Goofy comment there... Valtra has not sold well in NA partly due to its low hydraulic output [customer/marketplace feedback]. Challenger, AGCO, and MF are UPPING their hydraulic output. MF's have used SISU engines since LONG before AGCO ever bought Valtra, so I'm still confused. Valtra's got 65%++ of the Scandinavian tractor market, and the market share of MF and Valtra [added together] is similar in South America. If the North American market hasn't put enough money in the bank for all the effort [and incremental cost] it takes to get the name out there, I applaud AGCO for seeing the writing on the wall and getting outa here with a brand that's not putting solid R.O.I. to the bottom line. They've done a ton of work to consolidate brands and upgrade their dealer network and results are sometimes slow in coming, other times not.

AGCO is profitable - and the future is bright.
deere_9600
Posted 4/1/2009 22:04 (#665519 - in reply to #665358)
Subject: RE: April fools??? hmmmmm

just wondering.............. pull the hook out boys
JoshA
Posted 4/2/2009 01:49 (#665789 - in reply to #665109)

Alberta, Canada
Don't take this as me believing its true, but they are a lost cause.

They're kind of like McCormick , good, simple machines that you can't really complain about, but since they're not sold at a discount price 90% of people would just as soon buy a deere, etc.

I've looked at / priced them a few times over the years, but since they're lesser a tractor than a Deere/AGCO/mf/fendt of the same price, I'm not buying. They don't have the dealer support nor the resale value.

Now, if they had a Buhler ish price tag...
CaseFarmer
Posted 4/2/2009 04:09 (#665815 - in reply to #665363)

Flora IL
Really?? i thought alot of the new agco tractors were based off of valtra?

If not my bad.... for some reason i was under that assumption frmrzdotr...
pudding
Posted 4/2/2009 07:15 (#665847 - in reply to #665109)

Somewhereville, Earth
one of the largest valtra dealers in NZ is a customer of mine

i really enjoy working on them, they are nice, simple machines, built to work, new ones never come back to the shop, just do what they suppose too.....we put a lot of loaders on em, some have front linkage, a few reverse drives round here, the 8350 low rever and M series was not the most well recieved tractor, but they all go good, the new N series is a nice wee tractor, N series and T series is all that is sold round here, and the older 6000's and 8000's, i haven't seen a forestry spec one yet, or the peat specials

i think the UN has a fleet of them for moving Aid convoys, trailers etc in UN occupied countries......you can get em with 35mph boxes

valtra may dissapear from the US, but world wide i doubt it, valtra by far out sells new fergusons here
iseedit
Posted 4/2/2009 08:33 (#665921 - in reply to #665847)

central - east central Minnesota -

pudding - 4/2/2009 06:15 one of the largest valtra dealers in NZ is a customer of mine i really enjoy working on them, they are nice, simple machines, built to work, new ones never come back to the shop, just do what they suppose too.....we put a lot of loaders on em, some have front linkage, a few reverse drives round here, the 8350 low rever and M series was not the most well recieved tractor, but they all go good, the new N series is a nice wee tractor, N series and T series is all that is sold round here, and the older 6000's and 8000's, i haven't seen a forestry spec one yet, or the peat specials i think the UN has a fleet of them for moving Aid convoys, trailers etc in UN occupied countries......you can get em with 35mph boxes valtra may dissapear from the US, but world wide i doubt it, valtra by far out sells new fergusons here

I would really think the reverse drivers station would be very handy !  I'd want that over front linkage  . . . . maybe the option will be incorperated into the North American tractors (MF, Agco and Challenger) . . . . 

Posted 4/2/2009 08:49 (#665946 - in reply to #665363)

I agree. AGCO hasn't gotten to where they are by making dumb moves. The acquisition of Valtra/Valmet (Sisu diesel) was a good one. AGCO now makes their own engines and has some cutting edge emissions technology that will incorporate well into other AGCO product lines. The company had reached a point where they needed their own in-house supply of engines in my opinion so as to have more control over production scheduling and costs. And that it has done. But from the outset, I don't know that anyone outside or inside AGCO expected or pinned a lot of hopes on the Valtra tractor brand itself conquering a big chunk of new markets. Now I'm sure it is a very well built tractor but it's practically impossible for a start-up brand to make great strides in North America with some very strong established brands out there (MF, AGCO, Challenger, JD, CNH, Buhler, Kubota, etc.). No doubt the Valtra will continue to do well as a worldwide brand in other markets, but AGCO will do well, I think, to concentrate on their distribution of MF/AGCO/Challenger here. The multi-brand strategy is something that has worked well and likely will continue to do so.
JoshA
Posted 4/2/2009 13:42 (#666279 - in reply to #665921)

Alberta, Canada

Fendt offers reverse drive on their 900s, and do a much better job with it. All for a premium cost of course.
WTW
Posted 4/2/2009 14:13 (#666307 - in reply to #666279)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
Have you tried both reverse drive models that you can make a reasonable assessment of which is superior? Is the premium of the dark green paint going to have a return on investment in productivity?
BrianDownSouth
Posted 4/2/2009 16:50 (#666437 - in reply to #665154)

I have a VALTRA BH 185i and I like it. No, it doesnt have every feature available on other makes, but it has everything I need and want. I did opt for the hi-flow hydrolic option because I pull my planter with this tractor, I needed the flow to run the vacuum.

I admit that I wanted a Deere when I bought this Valtra. But, neither Deere nor Case could deliver a tractor in time for spring work because demand for tractors was so high at the time. Valtra could deliever in time so they got the deal.

I have less than 1000 hours on it and my only complaint is that the cab could be a little better. Other than that, it has been fine, never missed a day of work.
JoshA
Posted 4/3/2009 18:41 (#667814 - in reply to #666307)

Alberta, Canada
We have a New Holland TV145 bidirectional, and I have run the older Ford/Versatile 9030s as well so I have some experience with reverse driving. The closest comparison to someone familiar with bidirectionals, is to say the Valtra is like the Versatile, while the Fendt is like the New Holland TV series in the sense of the TV controls in the same place in both directions.

I have not USED neither the Fendt nor the Valtra in reverse mode, but I have used them in forward mode, and turned them around and "pretended" to operate them when parked.

The Valtra has 2 different steering wheels, the one facing the rear is off to the side making it a bit awkward/hard to get use to. In addition, in the Valtra only some of the controls move with you and no monitors. There is a display on the side console on the Valtra providing limited information, but the dash itself is still left "attached" to the engine.

In the Fendt, 100% of the controls/instrument panels move with you as you turn to face the other direction, including the dash. Everything (except the radio) is in the same spot relative to the operator regardless of which direction he's facing. If I'm not mistaken, even the foot pedals rotate in the Fendt, unlike the Valtra, which has 2 sets.

Both have poor visibility due to the large rear pillars in the Fendt + high back of the cab. Same for the Valtra, in addition to the middle pillars of the Valtra cab, save the Valtra S series which is not available in North America, which sort of says something right there.

Granted, like the New Holland bidirectionals, the Fendt requires more effort to turn the console around, as the Valtra simply turns the seat around.

To answer your next question regarding the premium cost of the Fendt and the return on investment, that all depends on what you are using it for. Most use the reverse station for things like snow blowers, forage harvesters, and hay mowers, in which case one could argue that yes, the Vario transmission in the Fendt will be more efficient for such jobs as opposed to the Valtra which is left shifting gears still, with not even a full power shift. Speaking of which, shifting ranges in the Valtra is especially fun when facing the rear.

However, as the reverse is only offered in the 900 series Fendts (200-350+ Hp range), then depending on the task, the Valtra will likely have a great return on investment as you don't have to buy an over-sized tractor which both costs more and burns more fuel.

So those are my reasons behind my opinion, as to whether or not they are reasonable, dunno.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)