AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SW Minnesota and NW Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jdironman
Posted 7/5/2020 08:49 (#8354833 - in reply to #8354453)
Subject: RE: SW Minnesota and NW Iowa

Nw Iowa
Clarify- a normal year with this much moisture now can usually make it 5 or 6 weeks . We usually have quite a bit of dew and our heat is usually pretty humid and usually somewhat limited as far as day after day, usually a couple days close to 90’s than closer to 80’s. Now if we see 90 degrees here on out which can happen, humidity drys up, and we see a lot of wind ( which is more common) than no we wouldn’t be in such great shape by mid Aug. Mother Nature can make a fool out of someone quickly and I could be that fool this year. Somewhat foolish to talk about normal when we haven’t had normal for quite awhile.
The other thing here though that helps yields is all our prairie potholes. These are holes that flood but have drainage. If we can hit on all those holes it really helps ,even ones replanted by June 25, as those bottoms really produce on a dry year .
Land we farm on west is very close to Superior(about 10-12 miles) but just north out of any kind of sand, as you will run into some lighter pockets in the Estherville- Superior area and that is land that has received too much rain up until last week as I believe we were real close to 2” again. We are definitely drier on eastern side of county on MN side and are going to need good rain by end of this month to make full potential there. I didn’t mean to generalize as with any summer rainfall can be spotty.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)