AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat harvest with stripper head pictures
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

olivetroad
Posted 7/4/2020 09:41 (#8353172 - in reply to #8351855)
Subject: RE: Wheat harvest with stripper head pictures

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251
tkoppel - 7/3/2020 15:36

Guys, these things really facinate me! Im up here in Michigan and near as I can tell they don't exist here.

I guess what I'd like to know, if you guys can tell me is this: how well do they work in a continuous no till environment? I'm guessing you Missouri boys figure on double cropping soys into that long standing straw. How does it work out if that stuff stands out there over winter and into spring, does it cause issues?

I'm asking this because "here" you really have to manage wheat residue when followed by no till beans the next spring. Either clip it off and remove the straw, or cut it low enough to get the heads, but leave as much of the straw standing as possible and spread the chaff and straw as evenly as possible, so there's no mat of residue to hinder the soil warming up.

Those strippers look like they leave the straw as long and as standing as imaginable, but does it all go flat from snow, wind and rain before next spring?

What do you think?

Hi Tom,

I'm not the one to ask, because the main reason we tried this head was to get more and better straw bales, not to improve planting conditions, hold snow, or whatever. Around here everyone likes chewing up the straw so they can double crop beans behind wheat. Wheat stubble gets either baled or planted into immediately after the wheat is harvested. If it's so thick they can't plant, it once in a great while gets burned. Straw is not an issue the following spring.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)