AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GP 3s-3000 drill closing wheel problems.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 7/1/2020 07:05 (#8346874 - in reply to #8345759)
Subject: RE: GP 3s-3000 drill closing wheel problems.

Sanilac Co. Michigan
Looking at the picture of your drill opener arms and comparing it to the openers on my GP drills, I see a couple things that would bother me. Unless I'm mistaken on how depth of seed placement is adjusted on your drill, the press wheels determine how deep or shallow your seed is placed and the spring on the opener arm determines how much down pressure is applied to each individual opener arm, Yes?

Your press wheels, as determined by the position of the tee handle on the opener arm, are set to place seed dang near as deep as it can go. Why is that, are your opener disks worn down a couple inches from what they'd be new? I also see what looks like plastic air line I'd use to apply liquid fertilizer in furrow just in front of the press wheel. If that's what it is and your putting down some fertilizer, could that be causing the build up on your press wheels, especially if it's getting mixed in that really dry soil in the top inch? That could kind of glue a bunch of dirt and be a problem.

It looks like you're using the narrow 2 × 13 press wheels. I'd guess they'd do a pretty good job in dry conditions, but in you situation could they be riding down through the top inch of dry soil and gauging depth off that wet clay beneath, especially if you're running high down pressure on your opener arms? In that case, either a wider press wheel or a set of vee type press wheels would likely help in your conditions.

Being 2,000 miles away doesn't help much, but that's sort of what I see.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)