AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Palasade on wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buehler
Posted 6/30/2020 17:26 (#8345846 - in reply to #8345639)
Subject: RE: Palasade on wheat

Scott City KS
DT87 - 6/30/2020 14:11

We planted a tall variety this year on ground where the wheat historically goes down anyway. We put palasade on 40 acres. Shortened it by about 4” and was standing noticeably better. The kicker was it yielded about 20 bu better. Our crop consultant thinks it could have been that it got set back a little which helped it handle the late freeze we had. Our other hypothesis was with a thicker stem it may have handled the 95 degrees plus 30 mph winds as it finished off. Any other experiences lately? Are there any other options, like others have mentioned, it’s pretty expensive but more than paid for itself this year.

I put some on in 2014. It did shorten the length between the nodes, but it didn't make a ton of difference. Left some test strips. No yield improvement and maybe a couple inches total difference. I have some pictures someplace. It did help, but not much. Here's the problem I see with it out here anyway.

1. Label says you have to be jointed to apply. Well, the late tillers didn't joint until a LONG time after the main stem, so it was pretty big when I applied. I think if you could apply it earlier (which in my case equates to a thicker stand which will almost exclusively wreck yield), it would work better.

2. It cost $14 an acre in 2014. YIKES. Another $5 to apply it and it has to do a lot of good consistently before I'd consider it. Now if you can point to 20 bushels, that's great. I'd do that in a second, but it's not what I saw.

3. If it gets hot and dry after heading it won't be tall wheat anyway.

I attached the yield results of the tests that we did. What I did is sprayed a pass through a bunch of fields with Pallasade. Then I lined up with the line and cut an untreated pass and a treated pass and weighed both. The yield difference is the last column. I haven't looked at it in a lot of years, but I remember being not too excited about it.

Edited by Buehler 6/30/2020 17:29

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2014 Wheat Pallasade.xlsx (12KB - 47 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)