AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding N with fungicide trip?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 6/28/2020 05:56 (#8340517 - in reply to #8340227)
Subject: RE: Adding N with fungicide trip?

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan

I am assuming..... 

You probably could get away with adding a couple gallons of liquid nitrogen with your 20 plus gallons of water for a fungicide application, and not do much if any burning of your corn leaves.  However, I seriously doubt a couple gallons of nitrogen is going to do much for a yield increase.  Frankly, I have never seen much of a yield increase from anything less than a 10 gallon rate of additional liquid nitrogen.  I always figure it takes at least 30 pounds of nitrogen to get a measurable yield increase.  Maybe others on this forum have, and will chime in.

Therefore, I would do some sort of separate nitrogen application from your fungicide application. 

Y-drops would be a good method, but maybe you're not setup to do that.  Probably would need a high clearance sprayer too, which you may not have as well.  If you don't have the means to Y-drop.... does anyone else in your area have the means?    I think that's what I would be looking into.  And if you can secure the Y-dropping... I would be trying some different rates to see what proved to be the most profitable.   

I would be adding some thiosulfate with the liquid nitrogen.   The thiosulfate will obviously give the crop some sulfur, but it will also help protect the nitrogen from volatilization.   Not sure how much protection the thiosulfate provides... likely not as much as a nitrogen inhibitor.... but it does help.   I would put the thiosulfate on at a ratio of at least 1 gallon of thiosulfate for every 9 gallons of liquid nitrogen.  Maybe up to 2 gallons for every 8 gallons of liquid nitrogen.

If you would.... let us know what you do... and if you do do anything.... let us know how it turned out this fall.  

gordon

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)