AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Close Enough Construction,
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/28/2020 08:23 (#8340801 - in reply to #8340562)
Subject: RE: Close Enough Construction,

SE Manitoba
cattlefeeder - 6/28/2020 06:32

Have you seen the video going around about good enough construction? Where they say something about, the only thing lower than our standards is our work ethic. It’s pretty funny and the first thing I thought of when I saw your title.

Well - - - - there is applicable use of quality of construction.

I don't think that you need to measure stuff to 0.001" when you're laying out a yard or a complex of buildings.
But not working to 0.0005" when you're developing precision equipment is going to bite you in the you know where.

The trick is in understanding the level of precision needed to do a good job that will last.

There are threads that are designed to engage even if there is lots of junk on them - - - - that works great for water hose ends on things like fire trucks (yes there is a specific class of thread for this).
There are also thread that are designed so that once they are used -- - - well when you take the items apart -- - - you just can't reuse either side of things.
AIUI that class of threads are most commonly used in the aircraft industry but then I haven't used that class just looked at the specs and read the included commonly used areas.

The idea of 'good enough' is because there is so much stress on cheapest possible.
You just can't get cheap construction and have 'good' construction.
My idea of good construction is construction that can last 100s of years in use with minimal maintenance and a minimum of operating costs.
AIUI the idea of 'good enough' construction was developed by ignoring the idea of 'long term minimum operating costs'.

Too many words to say that very much agreed - - - - work ethic - - - what work ethic - - - - standards - - - oh well - - that's good enough.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)