AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much beef can I make from a round bale?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/28/2020 06:05 (#8340525 - in reply to #8339294)
Subject: RE: How much beef can I make from a round bale?

SE Manitoba
johndeere1 - 6/27/2020 13:25

dabeegmon - 6/27/2020 13:08

JD dairyman - 6/27/2020 12:22

dabeegmon - 6/27/2020 10:33

Sell the high quality hay and feed the not that to your beef.
Hay can be quite profitable (note: 'can be' - - - - the quality MUST be there).

I disagree with this. I would feed the best to the cattle if you want to be successful cattleman.

A beef cow can do very very well on feed that a dairy cow doesn't.
There was no mention made of feeding feeders or anything else.
High quality hay is wasted on a beef cow for much of the winter feeding period.

Better read post again. He said he was feeding stockers. They don't do well on crappy feed. Dry cows do tho.

Both jd1 and his previously answering cohort are a blast!!!!!
Interesting how - - - - somehow I someplace said to feed crappy feed - - - - maybe one of you would be so kind as to show where that happened.

Even more interesting is that you both are talking about 'feeding high quality hay to stockers/feeders.
I think that this is the first time that I've seen such on AgTalk.
Most often what is listed for a feeding recipe is grain with ddgs or a cheap equivalent and then a GRASS hay.

Have either of you ever made a grass hay where the plants were not in more than boot stage? - - - - - Doubt it.

So when you see a high quality hay - - - - say RFV 175 - - - - is the first thing you think of - - - - great for stockers - - - - doubt it.
I haven't met a beef guy yet who doesn't crap their pants at paying $0.10 or more for a pound of hay.

So I will still say - - - - - as a beef guy - - - - SELL that very high quality hay (even your stocker really doesn't fit that easily - - - - feeding that high a quality hay is more than a touch risky - - - it is possible though)!
Sell the very top end - - - that will get you some grain - - - - which is worth far less.
Then feed your stockers that pretty good hay AND some grain.
Feed your cows when dry the lower end of the hay.
If your feeding beef cows when they're milking - - - - then you really don't even need 100% pretty good hay although I wouldn't try to get away with feeding OK hay here.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)