AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Concrete Posts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 6/28/2020 11:13 (#8341183 - in reply to #8337314)
Subject: RE: Concrete Posts

nw NC
I built a form to make concrete posts to use in a freestall dairy barn renovation project some years ago. Pictures below show some posts and part of the form.

I found a length of 10 inch steel channel at a salvage yard. I bought two 8 foot lengths of 6 inch channel. I welded one of the 6 inch channels to the 10 inch piece, the other 6 inch piece is bolted to the 10 inch. A piece of plywood is affixed to each end of the form and held in place with c-clamps. Should I wish to make a shorter post than the full length of the form, I insert two pieces of 1-1/2 inch angle, one on each sidewall of the form, placing them vertically inside the form walls at a point to give the desired length post. The angles are held in place with c-clamps. A piece of plywood, cut to fit snugly inside the form, is set against the vertical angles. A piece of plastic film is placed in the form so wet concrete placed in the form does not contact the steel. The plastic leaves a very smooth surface on the finished post . Two lengths of 1/2 inch rebar is placed in each post at locations 1-1/2 inch from each side. Once the concrete is hardened, the plywood ends are removed and the bolted sidewall form is removed.

I have a three point hitch, PTO powered mixer. Concrete mixture formula for the post that I make has more portland cement in it than would be used for such jobs as footings or walkways.

Any holes that are needed to fasten steel or wooden construction materials to the posts are drilled with a hammer drill using hammer drill masonry bits. My drill puts a hole through concrete pretty quick. I will very soon be using a concrete post to replace a rotted out creosote pole in my equipment storage building. It will be used in the same manner as these Perma-columns. https://www.permacolumn.com/

(002 (Large) (full).JPG)

(001 (Large) (full).JPG)

(003 (Large) (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 002 (Large) (full).JPG (181KB - 84 downloads)
Attachments 001 (Large) (full).JPG (187KB - 93 downloads)
Attachments 003 (Large) (full).JPG (148KB - 93 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)