AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/21/2020 10:54 (#8327236 - in reply to #8325692)
Subject: RE: Feet

Driftless SW Wisconsin

RCD - 6/20/2020 14:19 I will answer that I recognized your efforts to give a very politically correct response without addressing the majority of the content I posted about. I will ask a little more directly, mainly because I want to know how buyers use association data to make genetic decisions. Have you used CE EPDs as one of the selection criteria for purchasing bulls that will be used primarily on mature cows? It makes no difference to me either way, I am truly curios and a simple answer would be appreciated.

As others here will probably attest, I don’t do anything to be politically correct. Selling bulls is very much a trust transaction. No matter how experienced we may be, no one knows that bull like the breeder.  Especially for rookies like me, the key is finding a breeder that raises bulls the same way you will use them and a breeder that has a similar mindset to you.

At that point you use EPDs to choose between this trusted breeder’s bulls.

Personally I have about 50 cows and heifers to be bred starting next month. These are in two groups of about 25 head each at two locations a bit more than a mile apart. Each group has females ranging from 15 months to 12 years old.  I don’t separate cows by age. I have one bull with each group. He needs to be able to breed smaller 850 lb first calf heifers as well as a few 1500 lb mature cows.

Having said that, I do look at one group more as my future cow producer group and the other group more as my processing beef producer group although I want to be able to save cows from that group also.  I pay attention to pedigree as I don't want too much of any one sire line in any of my cattle. I have had good luck with the EFBeef Tested line of bulls the past few years but with retaining a lot of heifers and an occasional bull calf, I need an out cross bull.

I sold one of my two Tested A250 bulls to a friend with an all black Angus herd this spring. Here is his outcross replacement that will be primarily on my processing group.

CED is my first criteria, marbling is my second, then yearling growth, moderate milk, mature cow size, scrotal, etc.  Hard to get everything in one bull but they are out there in the Hereford breed.  I want a bull that produces good steers and also good retainable heifers. And has good longevity and feet!

Edited by Jim 6/21/2020 11:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)