AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/20/2020 11:07 (#8325389 - in reply to #8324269)
Subject: RE: Feet

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I'm on both sides of this EPD vs look at them (esp feet) debate.

SOME breeders are selecting for EPDs to the point where they ignore some traits like feet. I bought one of those good-epd-but-bad-feet bulls a few years ago before I knew any better. In fact a fellow poster pointed out the bad feet in response to a picture I posted. He was right. That bull only lasted 2 breeding seasons before he was having trouble walking and mounting cows.

There are some Hereford breeders such as Bryce at Schu-Lar, Ellis and probably others that do seem to be able to produce EPDs and pay attention to longevity issues such as feet. 

I think we need both EPDs and visual traits. I can't see marbling or calving ease or maternal milk etc looking at a bull at a sale barn. There are breeders who do both. However it must be tough to make a living selling the few bulls that have both EPDs and visual traits.

Feeders may want huge calves but as a birth to plate guy I sure do not. I really like processing an 1100 lb long yearling steer for taste, tenderness and profitability.  I do not want to be pulling calves at 2 am nor is it necessary if you buy bulls with good calving ease and growth epds. I also emphasize marbling. We need to take advantage of new genetic/EPD technology but also keep looking at bulls!

Edited by Jim 6/20/2020 11:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)