AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MU1979
Posted 6/19/2020 22:13 (#8324570 - in reply to #8324269)
Subject: RE: Feet

Missouri

The source of your negative comments from a commercial feeder. Confuse me

I could see them from a cow man and I have said similar statements from a different perspective.  I have seen very little hoof problems in feeders from genetics.  Cows and Bulls yes, and I have said the Angus Breed is committing suicide,for various reasons .  (Except Angus do have hoof EPD so they understand and are reacting to the issue)   2019 spring calf crop in a large area was effected my frozen conditions.(could been as high as 10% of north MO calves) Lots of calves lost ears, tails and had frozen hoofs. I really wonder if what the feeder is commenting on is environmental event from last year.  I know lots that will not buy frozen ear cattle because hoof trouble shows up around 900#.  I personally have two in the fattening pen right now with hoof trouble that is 100% frost damage. Many other frosty's moved threw the system and are finishing right now in the lots.

Calving ease genetics, also has been a cowman discussion of which does not hear much chatter.  Shorter gestation and small calves born at birth with lower ability to withstand adverse conditions leading to additional death loss. At the same time using low birth wt bulls on cows and not just heifers for a couple of generations.  One gets what they ask for from that management decision. I personally do not see any correlation to low birth wt and feeding qualities.  I am open to others filling in that issue as I have an open mind.  It is a non issue to myself.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)