AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

On farm butchering
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 6/19/2020 08:46 (#8323434 - in reply to #8322369)
Subject: RE: On farm butchering

West Central Illinois
RetroFarmer - 6/18/2020 18:00

Lb94 - 6/18/2020 14:18

I butchered a 525 lb. lunger of a heifer last week, borrowed some coolers from family and bought 6 big bags of ice and quartered her out and put her on ice 24 hrs., meat actually sat up real nice and grinded/cut pretty good. Wasn't too bad of a job really just like butchering 4-5 deer really.

Any tips or sources on how to learn to butcher an animal properly? My lockers are all two years out so it looks like I'll be butchering my own this year, I've never butchered any large animals before, just fried alot of chickens.
Thanks!

Youtube, I mean i didn't do a great job at it but it was a calf not at all finished so most the steaks i ground up because they didn't look worth a crap. All i kept for steaks was loin mostly, then cut some roasts off the round, rump and short flank but i have my doubts if those will be any good or not.

I've butchered hundreds of deer before both my own and working at night for the deer locker locally and there's a lot of similarities on beef and deer but it's a little more daunting cutting up on that calf because i had some decent money in her. Another thing i can say is don't underestimate how many SHARP knives you're going to need, definitely have 4 or 5 ready to go because when you get into it there's no time to keep sharpening your knives halfway through. And have a good skinning knife, that hide aint like a deer if i were to kill a deer and raise it up on the loader tractor 5 minutes later like i did that beef that deer hide would peel right off. Cowhide you actually have to use that skinning knife the whole way down not like a deer where all you do is start it on the backlegs then pull the rest of the hide off the torso.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)