AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sorting / load out pen. Design / ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/18/2020 07:28 (#8321513 - in reply to #8321479)
Subject: RE: Sorting / load out pen. Design / ideas

SE Manitoba
Angus8335 - 6/18/2020 07:06

Feed cattle on 4 different farms. About 2 miles away from each other. Each pen holds about 200 head. Should I try making a portable outfit maybe 15 foot wide transport width or make multiple setups? I own the farms. I’m thinking about getting used oilfield 2 7/8 pipe. We have a iron worker and all the related equipment. I buy some feeders and seems like every year get a few that would just as soon go where they want to go not where I want them to go. Anyone have ideas, design, pictures or comments TIA ... Dennis

If you use the search function Garvo has some pics of his load out facility - - - is going to take some looking.

Your major issue is going to be choosing whether you build moveable or not.

If you want a mobile setup I think that you are going to have to be quite careful on your planning.
A good sorting facility is very useful - - - - will keep you in the business for a lot longer too as you reduce your physical stress.
Personally I would be heading this way - - - - I wouldn't want to spend the money 4 times.
Visited one decently sized feedlot - - - they only had 2 sorting facilities for the whole place.

The flip side to that is that if needing to treat sicks - - - - do you have a sick pen at each place?
Are you planning on increasing numbers at each place?
If both answers are yes - - - then you might want to consider the extra cost and build 4 systems.

Garvo has his system inside - - - - makes it much easier to do things even when its dark outside or the weather is terrible.

Using a open outside sorting corral when there is a major storm on - - - well that's a royal pita.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)