AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Only the facts mam
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 6/10/2020 01:53 (#8306773 - in reply to #8306385)
Subject: RE: Only the facts mam

C IL
It’s complicated, isn’t it?

You have rate and acres applied, and then multiple applications, to calculate loading. Then add in a volatility factor that apparently can’t be measured.

I like to initially approach things from Einstein’s back of the envelope method, which is sort of order-of-magnitude math. If you have at least 3x the loading rate (for one application), and this is being applied to a significant portion of soybeans acres in the US (somewhere above 60M acres of dicamba tolerant soybeans alone) you are looking at order-of-magnitude increases of in-season dicamba application.

The first 10x increase is a much bigger deal than going from 10x to 20x, obviously.

If you step back and look at it abstractly, scientifically, order-of-magnitude increases are at least worthy of scrutiny, which is apparently what is happening right now in the courts.

Do we intend to spray the dicamba we purchased and put in the shed a few weeks ago? I guess so.

Do I feel good about it? Not really. Like a lot of guys, we felt forced into RX beans as risk management to deal with volatility concerns.

When we went to the RX system I kind of felt like that frog in the frog and scorpion fable. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop all summer.

Edited by sand85 6/10/2020 02:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)