AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mavic Mini ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/8/2020 07:18 (#8303422 - in reply to #8300051)
Subject: RE: Mavic Mini ?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have one also and have only made a couple of flights mostly because I've been quite busy and it it has been very windy. I too, have received the message to do the calibration procedure. I don't remember if I got any kind of "completed" response after the second step.. I watched a YouTube video of this process and the first step is to rotate the Mini is what I would call the flat or normal position with the rotors on top. This required holding it with one hand and rotating it as far as your hand allows and then completing the rotation with the other hand. The rotors remain up during this entire process. The second step shown on the video was to hold the Mini so the camera was pointing up and then turn it about that axis.

Mine was easy to fly. The Return to Home auto landing feature works quite well but sometimes slightly misses the landing pad and does a tumble in the grass which makes for an interesting video. There has been no damage due to these tumbles. My main problem so far has been the glare on the iPhone. I am going to try to use my iPad which I hope to mount using the stand I have for it in the tractor. I already have a M-F lightning extension cable from another project. I'm thinking that I may be able to mount the iPad on a sawhorse or something of the like and use the RAM mount to adjust for glare while sitting in a portable chair.

For my second set of flights I decided to go to the abandoned school where I graduated many years ago. My idea was to fly from the old football field and maybe make a video of the old school from above. The field had not been mowed and the grass was too long so I setup on an area close to it that had been mowed. The lay of the land varies considerably with the football field in a valley behind the old school. I sent the Mini OFF but wasn't able to see the screen on my iPhone very well due to glare. I lost view of the Mini behind the single tree in my return flight and suddenly heard a whirling sound as it hit the tree. I had not forced it to climb high enough to clear the tree for the return flight. I feared for the worst and wondered how I would get it out of the tree. I pushed the stick to climb and amazingly it crawled back out of the tree and flew back to the open skies. I hit the land button and it returned back to me and landed almost on the the portable pad from which it had departed. A video was being recorded during this action and is very interesting to watch the collision with the tree. You can even see me feverishly pushing the sticks at one point. I tried uploading it for others to see but it is too large for the free services so I'll need to edit it down.

Edited by tedbear 6/8/2020 07:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)