AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Field iq sprayer section control.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/4/2020 06:08 (#8296935 - in reply to #8296549)
Subject: RE: Field iq sprayer section control.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
With most sprayers that use a controller or monitor, the flow meter is positioned in the plumbing so that everything that goes through the flow meter gets to the ground and NONE gets returned back to the tank beyond the flow meter. This is often very difficult to do with the Hardi Plumbing layout.

Many Hardi sprayers use a positive displacement pump which means that the flow must go somewhere. This is why the valves are the so called "flow back" style. When a section valve is OFF the flow goes back to the tank. Apparently yours is plumbed that way. The bypass path which is used when the valve is OFF needs to provide the same amount of resistance as that section would provide so that turning a valve ON/OFF has no effect on the other sections that are still ON. This would be true whether a controller is being used or not.

An approach that Raven and Ag Leader use for these setups is called Calibrated Reflow. I don't know if Field IQ has that option. Maybe this setup did not work properly for the previous owner.

With Calibrated Reflow all the flow goes through the flow meter, some may get to the ground but some may be returning to the tank when a section is OFF. The system makes the assumption that that the flow going back to the tank is the same as if that section were actually ON. The system mathematically manipulates the flow rate being used to determine the rate based on the sprayed width to total width ratio.

For example. With a four section sprayer with equal width sections, the assumption is that 1/4 of the total volume is going through each section valve. If all sections are ON, then all the product going through the flow meter is reaching the ground so the total value from the flow meter is used. If one section is OFF and the other three are ON, then the system uses 3/4 of the flow value for its computation. If two sections are OFF and the other two sections are ON, then the system uses 1/2 of the flow for its computations etc.

Another approach that I read about used two flow meters. The first flow meter measured the entire flow. The second flow meter measured the flow returning to the tank. The system subtracted the two values to determine the amount actually reaching the ground. I never saw a sprayer that utilized that approach but it seems possible.

Edited by tedbear 6/4/2020 06:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)