AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

my first will it pull it...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bustedknuckles52
Posted 6/2/2020 09:33 (#8294083)
Subject: my first will it pull it...

NE Ohio
I have 10 acres of corn left to go as of today and im thinking about planting next year already.

Currently I no-till all my corn with a 4 row John Deere 7000 Conservation and a John Deere 2510 diesel. I planted a new field yesterday that has some hills and the 2510 ran out of umph. Normally I run 6th gear and it just wouldn't take it in several areas when the planter was full, or 3/4 full of seed and fertilizer. Its a syncro, so i did a quick shift to 4th and rode the hills with the front end hovering a couple inches off the ground. The planter is heavy, I have a fertilizer cross auger and extended hoppers on it. The tractor has wiper fluid in the rears and just the starter weights. I can always add weight, thats no big deal. I was just surprised how hard it was pulling. This is the only field i have like this. There are 4 hills total, each one is narrow and i had to downshift 2-3 rounds on each to get across.

So that leads me to my question. Ive been kicking around the idea of getting a 12 row 7200. Im planting just about 5 times the acres I was when I bought the 4 row and with a full time off the farm job it would be nice to speed up corn planting. The 4 row is manageable, but im hoping to keep growing. Up until yesterday i always thought my 4430 would handle a 7200 with liquid just fine. Now it makes me wonder if a 50 horse tractor struggles with a 4 row, will a 125 horse tractor handle a 12 row on those hills? The 4430 has more weight and the 404 doesn't lug down as easily as the 219 in the 2510 (its got a replacement motor).

(2510 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2510 (full).JPG (92KB - 175 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)