AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ryegrass again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 6/1/2020 22:33 (#8293602 - in reply to #8293485)
Subject: RE: Ryegrass again

Bourbon,Indiana

Sonlight - 6/1/2020 22:37 It’s my opinion that no one should use ryegrass with non gmo corn until they have a few years of experience. I’ve used ryegrass for 15 years and I still wouldn’t do it with nongmo. .

I too, have been growing ARG for quite a few years, and I will not plant a non-GMO corn into it.

As stated,  many forget that what makes ARG such a good cover crop.....is exactly what makes it a bear to kill, the large root system. And I still sometimes have trouble. I have 80 acres of my own ARG that I gambled and sprayed later in the afternoon than I should have, with colder weather on the way. I only got a 60-70% kill. So I will be spraying it again.

That said, I have never used more than 1.5 qts at a time. The critical thing is to

-make sure your water is treated for hardness & pH when using glyphosate. ( I switched from using a combination of AMS  & citric acid....to just using citric acid. 4#/100 on burndowns, 2#/100 on post sprays).

-spray during bankers hours

-spray with warm sunny weather, not only the day of....but for the next 48 hours. ( I know this is a hard target to find ).

Before I used RR corn, I was able to control escapes with both Accent, & / or Option. I don't recall the rates I used as that was almost 20 years ago now.

Good luck.

Edited by rebuilder 6/1/2020 22:37

(20200509_203226 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20200509_203226 (full).jpg (104KB - 119 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)