AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

update on double tap power issue on AL Incommand 1200
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/2/2020 08:38 (#8294013 - in reply to #8293096)
Subject: RE: update on double tap power issue on AL Incommand 1200

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I remember your previous post about your InCommand NOT staying off but remaining On or restarting.

The ball power switch on the back signals the system that you want to fire up or shut down. With the unit ON, pushing the power switch should cause the system to prepare itself to shut down by performing necessary "housekeeping" duties before it actually shuts down. If your ball switch is failing, it may have either not signaled the system that you wish to power down or maybe signaled it to restart.

With your problem the other day, the ball switch may have failed in the sense that it was not signalling the system that you wish to fire up. I'm curious, did you try removing power completely and waiting a bit and then reconnecting power and trying again?

The reason I mention this is that I have an InCommand 1200 in the planting tractor. It uses a GPS 6500 with a TerraStar subscription and Steer Command. Sometimes, when I start the system it will not recognize the presence of SteerCommand. GPS shows and TerraStar eventually converges as expected but no Steering. Powering down the InCommand and restarting usually rights the problem. Once SteerCommand is recognized everything works fine.

This tractor has a factory battery disconnect in the ground path. The InCommand is wired directly to the positive battery terminal but to the chassis ground point rather than the negative battery post. This is proper which means the ground connection for absolutely everything in the tractor is disconnected by the battery disconnect switch. When the system fails to recognize SteerCommand my great nephew gets out and turns the battery disconnect switch off, waits a bit for everything to "die" and then turns the battery switch on again, restarts the tractor and tries the InCommand again.

I have a different InCommand 1200 in the sprayer tractor. It too has a 6500 and SteerCommand. I do not have a TerraStar subscription for that 6500. It just uses WAAS. I had my great nephew remove the 6500 from the planter tractor and put it in place of the one on the sprayer tractor. I figured I might just as well use the better accuracy. The first day was fine but the second day, SteerCommand was not recognized on that tractor which had not happened in the past. I switched it back to WAAS and restarted and was able to spray as before.

But back to your disassembly, The button circled in your picture appears to be what the ball contacts when it is pushed. So do you feel that the problem is with the ball assembly and that it is not pushing the switch properly or do you feel it is a problem with the momentary switch itself? Maybe the switch has some corrosion in it. Maybe the switch itself needs to be replaced. Maybe the ball assembly needs to be replaced.

Based on your experience, if this should happen to me, I think I would remove the connectors, remove the back, carefully reinstall the connectors and attempt a restart by pushing on the momentary switch directly. If it should restart then I would do a complete backup to a USB stick. Since I have other InCommands available, I would install a different one do a backup of it, then do a restore from the backup from the problem unit.

In a completely separate situation, I have a remote door opening system for my shop doors. It is a somewhat homemade design that works with my 3 button shop door opener and my shop lights. The remote fobs have four buttons, one for UP, one for DOWN, one for STOP and the last toggles the shop lights. One of the remotes that got left out in the rain does not react to the STOP button unless I wiggle on it. I believe corrosion from the moisture is involved with that push button switch. I have several others that I can use. My plan is to use contact cleaner on that switch as I have nothing to lose. The switch appears very similar to the one in you picture. I would be a bit concerned about attempting contact cleaner on the InCommand.

Thanks for the info. I may need it someday.

Edited by tedbear 6/2/2020 08:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)