AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbor's parking lot is dumping water on our ground - Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 6/1/2020 12:12 (#8292679 - in reply to #8292539)
Subject: RE: Neighbor's parking lot is dumping water on our ground - Iowa

Nevada, Iowa
This gets a little sticky. In Iowa, you can not obstruct the natural flow of water. I imagine he did the grading because his parking lot was wet but I would guess the path the water is now taking is the path mother nature intended it to go. My personal issue with these things is that in many cases, it was not always a parking lot with a roof line probably draining on to it. The path of the water and the amount is essentially the same but the concentration and speed becomes an issue. I don't think you can legally back the water up on him with a berm. If he is reasonable, why not try a compromise. Maybe he could buy the tile and intake and you could do the digging? A couple hundred feet could be dug in with a backhoe fairly quick and then the water is underground and not bugging either one of you. You can call in the township trustees depending on their experience, they may have some knowledge on the subject. They would at least have access to the county attorney who should be able to provide some law on the subject. If you need to resort to this, do not expect anything to happen very fast.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)