AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbor's parking lot is dumping water on our ground - Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

rank
Posted 6/1/2020 10:50 (#8292573 - in reply to #8292539)
Subject: RE: Neighbor's parking lot is dumping water on our ground - Iowa

SEON
Al Swearingen - 6/1/2020 10:30

I have a neighbor that has a small business in the country. There is a large gravel parking area. The neighbor has recently graded this lot so that all the water runs to one spot and onto our ground. Our ground is pasture. The water travels across the surface 175' to an intake. It is causing a channel to form that averages about 3' wide and 2' deep. I am afraid it will continue to get worse. We need to drive across it to access a building.

My question is, what does the law say about who's responsibility it is to fix this and keep it from continuing to happen? I've asked the neighbor several times to fix it, his response is that he'll get to it next week, but that never happens.

To fix it right I think I either need to build a berm with an intake that will take the water underground 175 to the existing tile, or get a load of large rock that will make the water slow down and spread out. Can I do that on my ground if it makes the water back up on his ground until it can drain away?

Thanks for any help!

Here Drainage law isn’t federal so it depends on your location but here I could build a dam and contact the authorities and get him to fix it
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)