AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Parkinson’s and diet.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/31/2020 06:10 (#8290383 - in reply to #8285697)
Subject: RE: coconut oil - the good and the bad???

Pittsburg, Kansas

Lots of conflicting information about coconut oil.

Here is the Mayo Clinic back in 2017 still beating the "bad cholesterol" drum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaVRVE6LmSU

Yet there is ample research showing that cholesterol is not the bogeyman it has been made out to be, with more than one study actually showing higher cholesterol levels having lower all cause mortality than low levels. So who to believe???

I personally think these videos are a much more accurate reflection of the importance of cholesterol, both in our body and in our bloodstream. What's the real story on cholesterol?   So is this all brand new information and recent research?   Hardly. Here it is in more depth being presented six years ago. The cholesterol conundrum. If you liked those here is a presentation given just a couple months ago. Higher fat diets for heart disease - the cholesterol question. Spoiler alert. If you don't want to spend the time to watch that whole last presentation (you should, it is very good) but still fear fat, go to minute 23 and watch about 5 minutes.

More from one of my favorite presenters.

So is coconut oil so dangerous because it is a saturated fat? Or a benefit because it is a saturated fat? 

I'll put this link here because it will provide all the supposed benefits of coconut oil. I say supposed because I don't know of the science to support all the claims in the video. But a person can watch it to see the promotion of it, then delve further if they want to see if the claims are actually true. Think of it more as a promotional video like the producers of coconuts would come up with. I'm not promoting it as "facts" about coconut oil.    16 (supposed) benefits of coconut oil. As always, caveat emptor.

The difference between coconut oil and MCT oil.  MCT oil tends to be a little easier on the stomach for people that are sensitive to coconut oil. The C8 is the easiest with C8-C10 blends being more common and less expensive. Coconut oil is the cheapest because it is less refined. The C12, lauric acid, is the most abundant in coconut oil but also has proposed health benefits in its own right. If a person wants to try any of it, start out slow and increase the amount as tolerated. As already mentioned in this thread, large doses can have a laxative effect.

Speaking of lauric acid, coconut oil is high in it. Know what other food is high in lauric acid (C12)? Breast milk. Hmmmm..... if it is good for growing babies.....but it is a "terrible" saturated fat????

More than a person ever wanted to know about coconut oil. The oil we have been warned about it clogging our arteries for the last 50 years. Turns out it is not so bad after all. So is coconut oil good or bad for you? We all get to decide for ourselves. Think I will go put a tablespoon of MCT8 in my coffee.

John

Edited by John Burns 5/31/2020 06:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)