AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hagie-Agleader-EZBoom control Issue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/28/2020 06:17 (#8284655 - in reply to #8284304)
Subject: RE: Hagie-Agleader-EZBoom control Issue

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I don't know if this will help much. I personally use the AL Direct Command system and have messed with EZ-Boom as a tech.

EZ-Boom was designed to drop in and replace a Raven 440/450 which have internal boom switches. It was not designed to replace a Raven 460 which requires external boom switches. This is not to say that it can't be done.

With the original 460 in the Hagie, the Master and Boom switches did two things 1) controlled the boom valves directly and 2) backfed the status of each boom back INTO the 460 so that it would perform its calculations correctly. With a 440/450 those two things are done internally inside the controller.

When the AL system was installed some rewiring of the section valves was done. If the original switches were used they would have been rewired to become inputs to the Ag Leader systems Auxiliary Input Module. If the SC110 CAN switchbox is used, its switches are then used but again they are inputs to the system. The AL Liquid Product Control Module is what was actually turning the section valves ON/OFF.

That means that auto swath then has the ability to turn off a section for you based on its coverage map. The difference is that with the original wiring, the operator was in direct control of the boom section valves. With the rewiring, the operator is changing inputs to the system. The operator is offering "suggestions" as to what might happen. The system is making the decision as to whether a section should be ON or OFF based on those inputs and other factors.

Now that you are going to EZ-Boom, the boom wires coming out of the Liquid Module will need to be rewired so that EZ-Boom can control them. In other words, the wires that were coming out of the Liquid Module to turn the section valves ON/OFF need to go the 16 pin connector on EZ-Boom.

Not to discourage you but my experience is that EZ-Boom can work but that you will wish that you had stuck with the AL setup for sprayer control. The 500 and EZ-Steer could be used for steering and a GPS source feeding the Edge. Then the Edge and AL components can run spray control as you have been doing. This would involve setting the AB line etc on the 500 and the spray rate etc. on the Edge. In normal field operation I think this could be quite workable as the operation with the Edge is what you are used to and engaging the steering could be worked into your routine.

Edited by tedbear 5/28/2020 06:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)