AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody watching the history channel mini series
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 5/29/2020 22:46 (#8288496 - in reply to #8283720)
Subject: RE: Anybody watching the history channel mini series

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

Yes. Watching and enjoying. As was stated earlier, it is refreshing that the History Channel is actually showing something that is historical rather than all the other garbage they have been showing.

As far as comparing Grant and Lee is concerned, I believe Lee did more with less. Also, if Lincoln had not put Grant in charge I believe the North would have won eventually but the war would probably have lasted at least two years longer, maybe more. Grant recognized that the South was already running dangerously short of resources, both in men and material. In 1864 he began what amounted to a war of attrition. By that time Lee was down to about 60,000 or so effectives. Grant's forces outnumbered him at least 2 to 1, with more available if he needed them. Previous Northern generals had attacked, got stopped (but not necessarily defeated, as such) and retreated. Grant didn't retreat. He simply started shifting troops from his right to his left, forcing Lee to match every move. Lee just didn't have the resources to keep up, although he did manage to do so for a year.

Other Southern generals facing Sherman (Johnston, Bragg, Hood, etc.) were idiots, more concerned about their "honor and reputation" than winning.

Also there is a real possibility that if Sherman had not taken Atlanta when he did, Lincoln might have lost the 1864 election. If he had lost to McClellan the war would have ended with the United States recognizing the CSA as an independent nation. I do not believe that McClellan ever really wanted to win in the first place. He just wanted to be in charge.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)