AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another ruhbarb question(about the freeze problem)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

iseedit
Posted 5/25/2020 07:24 (#8278582 - in reply to #8278407)
Subject: RE: Another ruhbarb question(about the freeze problem)

central - east central Minnesota -

TheGleaner - 5/25/2020 03:02 Figured since it's a different topic, make another post Anyways about the freeze and ruhbarb leaves pushing the poison down, does that last forever? When it froze I didn't think about it until I read it later, and by then the plants/row was growing at full speed again. So what should I do? Pull 1/2 the stalks, paint the others and when the plants regrow pull the other 1/2 or does it kinda go away? I'm not a terribly huge fan of ruhbarb but since I found out that in town at the farmers market it's going for $2-$6 a pound (why?!?) It doesn't sound like a bad way to make a little more money. So we presold/pregave quite a bit as it is so...and did the same last year but without the freeze problem. 

If it froze and the leaves didn't turn black and fall off . . . . nothing to worry about. I've not heard of "poison" in the leaves, being pushed or sucked back down the stalks once growing (or otherwise).  I wouldn't worry about it. If the stalks look good, they should be good.
Your idea of marking the stalk, when/where it froze - if the concept was legitimate, I would think the "toxic" chemicals in the rhubarb leaf would be in the whole stalk, not just the part that was out of ground when it froze. After all, wouldn't it potentially drive or absorb the toxins all the way into the roots ?

I can recall, years back in my much younger years, frozen/frost on the rhubarb - we never paid any attention to it, ate and process all the same and I'm still here to recall. Thinking about it now, did it have any additional "digestive power" or "laxities" qualities when it froze ? ? ?   lol   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)