AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn contrast questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 5/24/2020 19:45 (#8277841)
Subject: Corn contrast questions

So have a field that's been in a C-SB rotation for ............. a long time. Had 3 small fingers of this field I put into a 15 tree CRP that expired last year that I put to beans last year, so now those CRP fingers have corn in them for the first time in 17 years or so. I'm farming the field like it's all one field, so the whole field got planted the same day with the same varieties, same inputs, etc.. There's a noticeable difference in the CRP part of the field where the corn looks bigger, better, with more growth and better color.
This field is planted to double pro traits, with a 500 SAI seed treatment. If I didn't have the contrast with the better looking CRP part of the field, guess I would attribute the lack of better growth in the bigger part of the field to lack of GDU's accumulated to date.My questions are, what do you think is holding the corn back? Do you think there's an associated yield hit with the lack of better growth to date? I did apply insecticide on my non-gmo acres, but not the traited corn fields. Should I consider insecticide next year on all corn acres? Rozetta timber type soil, 1-2% OM, long term no-till. Even broke out the CRP drilling SB's green into the perennial grass established for the trees. Yes, still some trees sprouting up from mostly a few remaining lateral tree roots not quite dead yet, lol.

(5-24-20 CRP corn (full).JPG)

(5-24-20 NF corn (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 5-24-20 CRP corn (full).JPG (150KB - 87 downloads)
Attachments 5-24-20 NF corn (full).JPG (135KB - 70 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)