AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

splitting a ruhbarb question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

iseedit
Posted 5/24/2020 16:52 (#8277564 - in reply to #8275915)
Subject: RE: splitting a ruhbarb question

central - east central Minnesota -

TheGleaner - 5/23/2020 20:03 So much to my disappointment, it appears that a certain someone as split/dug up one of my ruhbarb plants. There is still a small bit left but how much is too little? A fist sized amount? Then if it doesn't come back, when would be a good time to split the other plant(s) to replace the one they stole? Long story short I remember splitting them when I was 3ish or so with a neighbor lady who's kids never came back to visit ever and we inherited the place due to that(simplifying it here) and they're basically come to get their stuff and leave. Even worse is I had their "capacity" sold already...which now I get to explain to my buyers.(last year I sold alot and put it out there early that I could produce( this, I forget the exact number) amount anyone want any and it sold rather quickly

Pretty darned hard to kill Rhubarb  . . ..  It doesn't take much of a root ball to regrow. Anything half the size of a fist will grow and multiply. As mentioned, add some composted cow manure. Not the runny just recently dumped by the cow, but some that you'd haul out in the spring. It will grow through a pretty good layer - but, don't pack it on it.

As mentioned, pull or cut the seed head off - let the root ball grow for a 1 - 2 seasons be for harvest. first harvest should be select stalks, not all of them.

Keep it watered well, but don't drown it out.

Pretty darned hard to kill rhubarb . . . . . .

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)