AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Contingency plans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 5/22/2020 21:13 (#8274172 - in reply to #8274087)
Subject: RE: Contingency plans

southern MN
My town friends really don’t have a clue what all I go through.

But to be fair, I don’t know what it’s like to work in a factory making a widget 5 days a week either.

Anyhow, my contingency plans? Don’t know that it’s a plan.

2 years ago when I got hurt 3 days before harvest started, I had a neighbor in my field working on mine, working on his, back and forth and actually got done with harvest faster than on my own......

That spring, I busted up my knee before pat planting time and was very painful bending my leg. It was just a grin and bare it type of spring, worked a little slower for a couple weeks, learned I didn’t dare kneel on that knee.

I tend to be a last minute seed or herbicide pickup kind of person. This year I was knocking on doors to be one of the first in the door to get my supplies, I had to leave a tractor outside the shed was full. I figured if I catch a virus at least a neighbor could plant for me, or some such. If the business I buy from catches a virus or if the govt shuts down a business, I at least have what I can on hand to keep going.

Last fall I bought a newer old tractor, I kept my older old tractor, nice to have a backup if one blows up and for what my old one is worth, not much capital sitting around. Ended up with the wife laid off 2/3 of the time this spring we were using them both.

But, so, contingency plan? I guess that is how mine goes. Might be light on ‘plan’ but I must have a framework in the back of my head.....

Not sure if we farmers have a plan, we just fall back to the next best option?

Paul

Edit: Seeing this is in the marketing page, you might be more interested in the financial side of things, selling crop or continuing the business through tough times or a hardship.

Yea, I got nothing there, I suck at marketing and I have no plan. I am rather financially conservative is the only real plan, prefer cash on the barrel head for anything but major (land) purchases.

Edited by paul the original 5/22/2020 21:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)