AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How long can I wait to side dress this corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

S. Mahoney
Posted 5/22/2020 10:26 (#8273269 - in reply to #8273044)
Subject: RE: How long can I wait to side dress this corn?

Northern IN
I fell in the same situation 10 years ago. I put on 45 units with the planter with plans of side dressing nh3 for the rest. It got wet and I had 135 acres getting some size to it. It finally got dry enough to knife nh3 the corn at that point was rubbing the tool bar pretty good. I got 35 acres done and got rained out. I ended up dribbling 28 with Agrotain on the other 100 acres of that farm. The corn was about chest high at that point and I decided to try dribbling with a 4440 and pull type sprayer when the ground got fit to drive on again with the idea that I’d hire my fertilizer dealer to come in with a high clearance sprayer if I broke corn over. There were places the corn was up to the yellow stripe on the hood of the tractor but it didn’t snap the stalks so I kept rolling cautiously. The corn wasn’t showing any signs of N deficiency yet. I was surprised that 45 units could carry a crop that far. That fall there wasn’t any difference in yield between what got nh3 and what got 28. The next year I switched to coulter injected 28. I haven’t pushed side dressing that late since then but as a result of that experience I sleep better when it’s wet at the time I’d like to get the applicator going.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)