Posted 5/22/2020 14:30 (#8273599 - in reply to #8273576) Subject: RE: PP decisions made already anywhere
I think for many it is a game-day decision. It will be for us on May 31. We are forecast to get an inch plus of rain this weekend. Now if it dries out by next weekend, yeah, I'll plant our last corn field, which is a mud hole. If not, I'm not at all reluctant to take PP. No question it makes financial sense to leave it, especially since we took ARC-Individual.
I won't plant late. I won't switch to beans, of which I already have plenty. I won't plant into mud, which has always been a regrettable yield disaster for us. The soil needs to be fit. PP doesn't scare me at all, as we had to do a fair amount last year. The shame of it is largely gone now...my cherry is popped, but anybody who thinks PP doesn't still require plenty of work to kill weeds and plant a cover crop is fooling themselves.