AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raising squash
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

MaineFarmer
Posted 5/22/2020 03:40 (#8272689 - in reply to #8272669)
Subject: RE: Raising squash

coast of Maine
I think its variety and breeding.If say you are buying butternut in april/may it probably was just picked in Mexico. Guatamala,honduras,etcIf its from last seasons crop in the north quality will diminish a bit a storage time exceeds 3 months but actually improves a bit to start.Those just picked the chains buy in are similar to you going out in late July and getting the first colored one,Ok but only ok.If you want a dry squash that will require copious butter(Maine favorite) buy Buttercup,drain well and it will be dry if mature.I think irrigation is not it just like corn farmers ,they head for variety that yields well,looks well,stores ok, and the one that may make $.,so as a vine crop grower you switch from a 120 day maturing squash to an 85 day to be sure of maturity and avoid freeze off,It doesnt taste as well.Chains dont give a rats butt about taste.Was a recent released squash,excellent taste,promoted well by seed co.,complete flop,,,chains dont want change and care less about taste than my dog.I think it was Butterkin .May be some seed still around,eats real well but cant sell.Buttercups close cousin is Kabocha,it can be a bit less sweet unless just correct time of good maturity.Very popular with hispanic and carribean consumers.Burgess butercup is common for consumer seed,very nice eating,stores very poorly,mice love them also,sweet,dry.Grow harvest,peel cook freeze is best for it being good sqaush all year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)