AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So if your a crap marketer you got bailed out today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 5/20/2020 08:45 (#8269052 - in reply to #8268714)
Subject: RE: So if your a crap marketer you got bailed out today

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
Agr723 - 5/20/2020 03:49

I don’t want to go as far as you in my comments but I will say this.

I don’t like MFP payments and crop insurance subsidies and WHIP+ programs and all the other things that dole out taxpayers money to our industry. But I could rationalize it due to everyone in an area getting the same payment.

This is different. This deal picks winners and losers. And one group of losers will be young farmers who typically deliver contracted grain in the fall. And did they do better on price this year? Yes. And in a capitalist system that entitles them to reap the rewards. This program does away with that. It will be used by guys with HTAs or straight hedges as well as those with unproved grain. It will not help someone who sold out of the field and bought the CME.

At least in the past I could look at programs and know that I was getting roughly the same as my neighbor and they wouldn’t have a $30/acre advantage on me when talking with the guy down the road with the nice 1/4 section. If he did a better job growing a crop than me or buying inputs than me or selling his crop than me then I have no problem with it. That’s not the case here.

All government programs pick winners and losers.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)