AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheel speed sensor for john deere planter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/17/2020 07:36 (#8261717 - in reply to #8261341)
Subject: RE: Wheel speed sensor for john deere planter?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
You would need a shaft speed sensor on the planter to inform the system how fast the seed shaft is turning. This is often part of the planter drive assembly which usually includes the hydraulic valve and orbit motor.

You would also need a ground speed sensor so the system knows how fast the planter is travelling. I would think that the ground speed sensor could be radar or emulated radar from a GPS system and not necessarily a ground speed sensor on a wheel.

The system needs to know how fast the seed shaft is turning so it can use the calibration numbers you have entered to determine how many seeds are dispensed. It also uses the ground speed information and those calibration numbers to determine how much land you have covered. It uses all this information to compute (not actually count) the number of seeds being dispensed in a certain time interval. It then compares this predicted population against the target population you have entered.

It changes the hydraulic flow to the orbit motor turning the seed shaft in an attempt to get the calculated population to agree with the desired target rate. I keep referring to predicted or calculated population rather than actual population. The reason being the system does not actually watch and count the seeds to determine how fast it should turn the shaft. It bases this on the calibration information which assumes that the planting mechanism is in good condition and working well. If the planting mechanism is not working well, the seed shaft may be turning at the proper speed but not delivering the seed correctly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)