AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Death on a factory farm (HBO)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

iowarich
Posted 3/28/2009 00:29 (#659362 - in reply to #658606)
Subject: Re: Death on a factory farm (HBO)

Whiting, Iowa
I have seen this slanted documentary too. As a pork producer I was uncomfortable with the sow hanging, but after hearing the vet's testimony, I don't think it was any more cruel than any other way of ending a downed sow's life. As for little pigs, a quick death is best. I don't think the method makes much difference, but to most people, it would seem graphic. The moving of the pigs being weaned wasn't exactly cruelty, though they could have been handled in a better way. As for the undercover cameraman, he said the baby pigs were screaming the whole time. That's what they do most of the time even when handled properly. We all have probably done things we wouldn't be proud to have on film, but unfortunately undercover workers will probably continue to try to make money by doing the dirty work for these animal rights groups and catch the worst moments on film. I'm sure the big operations are very cautious when hiring people. Their livelihood depends on good workers they can trust. We all need to make an effort to tell our story of how we safely raise the food to feed the world and not let the activist groups have the say in how we are perceived. We're all in this together and we all have much to gain or lose by how we are seen through the average person's eyes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)