AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pick long-term internet service speed/plan
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

chedv
Posted 5/6/2020 20:09 (#8239954 - in reply to #8237264)
Subject: RE: Pick long-term internet service speed/plan

SE IL
Sounds like WIN is coming to your area. My family is on it. It's terrific. One has the 100, one has the 250, the other 500 plan.

250 seems to be the sweet spot (for now). But I just saw their lifetime 1 gig offer and I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. You're correct. Internet speeds do adhere to the law of diminishing returns.

They always get their respective speeds. No slowdowns, lag, throttling, etc. Ping times around the 2-3ms range. You're correct, you need to start running higher end wifi equipement if you are going to approch gig levels. The 500mb location uses an Airport Extreme and they are able to get that bandwidth when close to the router. When you move rooms, it will drop. So you will need to look at the mesh router systems with wired backhaul (or something similar) to get these speeds in every room.

My experiance, most TVs have a regular 10/100mb NIC. 4k streaming only needs around 25mb so I guess they feel that's sufficient. Most likely the wireless will be faster that the NIC on TVs. Yes, most all of my equipment is wireless AC standard. Now AX (wifi 6) equipment is coming out.

We just installed an RTK base station at one of these locations using their fiber to send corrections out over the internet. We haven't had one drop out yet.

Message me if you'd want more info.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)