AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Observations From the Keto Front
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/5/2020 13:29 (#8236943 - in reply to #8236929)
Subject: evolution in diet

Pittsburg, Kansas

I will reflect everything Curious says.

Starting out on a low carb diet, I ate plenty of peanut butter, transitioned to the no sugar added, and have finally just quit eating it. If a person is quite a bit over weight, just going in the right direction in the amount of carbs they consume will be tremendously helpful even if they don't go "full Monty" strict. I ate peanut butter and drank copious amounts of diet soda starting out and lost tons of weight.

Over time what I found out, and I see others are finding the same thing, was that as time passed and I got used to not having so much carbs/sugar my taste buds changed. As my taste buds changed I found new groups of food that I enjoyed or foods that previously were just "ok" now I liked a lot. Other foods (like sweetened peanut butter) I kind of lost my desire for. Was not that I could not eat them, they just did not have the appeal they once did.

Another transition that my wife and I have found that we just came by naturally is the lowering of vegetables we eat. When we started out we ate lots of things like salads, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, green beans,etc. Now we mostly eat meat. We might have a little veggie once in a while but meat is what we seem to desire. I still like radishes for an appetizer and we still eat quite a bit of onions that my wife really likes. But we have just naturally gravitated over the last 15 months to more of a carnivore rather than omnivore diet. My wife especially thinks she just feels better and does better the less plant material she eats. This is not something I am promoting, just telling what our natural progression has been from our first low carb/ketogenic meals. We have just kind of evolved to this point.

We eat a lot of red meat, a little chicken and a fair amount of fish. More fish than chicken right now (pork has been so cheap not hard to pass up the chicken in the meat case) and we have a pond full of fish we have been catching and cleaning. Got where we really like to take a pint of my wife's home canned bluegill, one tin of sardines in olive oil and one tin of smoked kipper snacks herring all mixed together. Add in significant mustard and dill pickle relish. Along with a fresh bag of microwave pork rinds makes a great low carb lunch. What we just finished for today's lunch.

John

Edited by John Burns 5/5/2020 13:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)