AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fancy Ponytail
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Funacres Daughter
Posted 4/23/2020 14:55 (#8211652)
Subject: Fancy Ponytail

Texas
Some may recall that at the beginning of this year I did a New Year’s resolutions post.  On my list of resolutions was a fun goal of: “Find a fancy ponytail style that I am capable of doing with my hair, I like the looks of, and does not take half a day to do.”  I achieved the first two of those three requirements, so I am considering this goal a success.

Pictures 1-2: My ponytail.
Picture 3: The style I was trying to copy.

To the 95% or more who just clicked on this post to see if there was a picture - Thanks for the click.  To the 5% or less that has in interest in knowing how I did the hairstyle - The rest of this post is for you.

With the current stay at home orders, now became a great time to work on a fun hairstyle goal.

I saw a photo of a ponytail style that I really liked in a news article.  The photo was of Pippa Middleton at the 2019 Wimbledon Tournament.  I went to the Getty Images website and searched for more photos of her at that event.  The website had several good ones.  I closely studied the hairstyle and took a screenshot of one the them (picture 3).  

I attempted to copy the hairstyle a few times, but each time it was not looking right.  I tried to analyze what I needed to do differently.  I finally decided to try the hairstyling trick of using day old hair (ie. hair that has not been washed within the last 24 hours).  For me, this proved to be the key to copying the ponytail.  My hair definitely needed to be grittier for the braid to look full and the ponytail to hold.

I had straightened my hair the day before and after sleeping on it, looking in the mirror the next morning was one of those “Now what?” moments.

After working a brush through the mop, I flipped my head upside down, liberally sprayed Kenra Dry Texture Spray on my roots focusing primarily on the bangs area and then used a hairdryer to blowdry it for a couple of minutes.  The reason for this was to add grit and volume to the hair as well as reduce the oily roots look.

Then I separated my hair into two sections.  The bangs area plus over a third of the hair on the right side of my head down to my neck for the braid and the remainder was clipped to the side.  Almost half of my hair was used in the braid.  

I started the inside-out French braid (also called a Dutch braid) with the bangs section and continued braiding until I had reached where the ponytail would be and included almost all the the hair in that section.  At that point I braided the hair without adding any more strands to the braid (about 4 more inches) and then temporarily secured it with a hair elastic.  

Next, I worked on making the braid fatter and looser by gently pulling on the sections of the braid.  After adjusting it for about 15 minutes I was content with the braid and gave it a substantial spray of hairspray (I have two different hairsprays on my counter, but I think I used Kenra Voluminous Touch Memory Spray 12).

Then, I started working on the second section of hair.  I teased and then hairsprayed the crown section of hair before using a comb and my fingers to smooth the hair while trying to keep the volume.  After that, I gathered all of my hair including the braid into a ponytail and secured it with a hair elastic.  Then I pulled on the ponytail to tighten it against my head and also used my fingers to carefully add volume to the top and blend the braid with the rest of my hair without pulling strands too far out of the ponytail and thoroughly hairsprayed it when I was content with the look.  It was then time to remove the temporary elastic on the braid and unbraid it up to the ponytail.

Next I used a flat iron (1 in. ghd hair straightener) to add a bit of wavy curl to the strands while keeping the ends straight.  After that, I used my fingers to rake through the ponytail and blend the strands together.  Then I used a small strand of hair from the ponytail to wrap around the hair elastic, secured it with two very short bobby pins (about 1 in. long), and gave it a good spray of hairspray.

The final step was to lightly tease the top of the ponytail to add a little volume, then smooth the frizziness out with a comb and my fingers, and hairspray the whole style.  (pictures 1 & 2: completed ponytail)

Conclusion:  From the time I looked at my mop in the mirror until the final spray of hairspray was about two hours.  While I had fun playing with my hair, copying this hairstyle, and wearing it for the rest of the day; it required more time and effort than I would be willing to do on a frequent basis.  I hope to try this again at some point in the future; but for me the fancy ponytail will be a very occasionally worn hairstyle.

Now, if hair salons will be allowed to reopen I would greatly appreciate being able to get rid of my hairs’ split ends and stringy look.  Also, I have run out of my favorite salon sold detangler.  

Edit: Enlarge font. It was super tiny when I first posted this. 

Edited by Funacres Daughter 4/23/2020 15:11

(fullsizeoutput_79e (full).jpeg)

(fullsizeoutput_79f (full).jpeg)

(Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 1.12.54 PM (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fullsizeoutput_79e (full).jpeg (238KB - 527 downloads)
Attachments fullsizeoutput_79f (full).jpeg (282KB - 581 downloads)
Attachments Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 1.12.54 PM (full).jpg (117KB - 701 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)