AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gasoline engine in a combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Iowajim
Posted 4/19/2020 13:06 (#8202275 - in reply to #8201055)
Subject: RE: Gasoline engine in a combine

NW Iowa
Deere started offering diesel engines in combines in the mid 60’s I’m guessing. I had a 1966 or 1967 105 gas. The owners manual Listed the maintenance for a diesel engine. My 105 was a gas hog till I disabled the accelerator pump. The accelerator pump was vacuum operated like usual but the piston the vacuum sucked on did not have seals, it was a machine fit in the bore. Gas was on the other side of the piston and when the piston wore a little the vacuum on the front side sucked gas past the piston. The gas that got around the piston had a straight shot into the manifold through the accelerator pump vacuum port in the carb. On the advice of an old Deere mechanic I plugged the vacuum port and the fuel consumption was cut by at least a third. It idled better too. The drawback to this was no accelerator pump when the throttle was opened so I had to open the throttle slowly. Once it was wide open all was well. I ran that old girl for 19 years putting 600 acres of corn and beans through it per year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)