AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carbs - fiber = ??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 4/14/2020 05:36 (#8187933 - in reply to #8174407)
Subject: RE: Carbs - fiber = ??

Rolla, ND
Lone Wolf Picker - 4/8/2020 17:45

Picked up a box of Atkins snack bars at the store. Was reading the back, where it said "Glycerin and fiber should be subtracted from total carbs as they minimally impact blood sugar." Really ? A brief explanation please. Marketing 101 ? J

Well, it depends.

If I am a diabetic injecting myself with lethal doses of insulin which I must neutralize with sugar and starches, subtracting the fiber becomes pretty important or I can’t maintain my blood sugar.

As for weight loss, some people stall on fiber, some don’t. It might come down to gut flora. Talking to people, using total carbs when limiting carbs seems like a good idea initially, but after awhile, many find themselves more tolerant. Maybe it’s gut flora, maybe upregulation. I don’t know.

We do see for instance that in atheletes that have upregulated ketosis ability that when doing physical exertion, they will immediately use ketones, not wait for glycogen to run out. So they have a basic metabolic advantage of two fuel sources.

Maybe after awhile getting ketosis upregulated, it doesn’t shut down as easily as when someone has been on the carb roller coaster for a long time.

Edited by BigNorsk 4/14/2020 08:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)